Anyways, today's post is about how to change you life in small and simple ways. I find that my life tends to fall into a really structured routine once school starts and that can become boring pretty quickly. Some people enjoy this structure but I am definitely not one of those people.
So here are a few ways to improve your day to day life in small and simple ways.
1. Do something you've always wanted to do.Take up a new sport, write a book, start a Youtube channel, create a work of art, make a new work out routine. The possibilities are endless. Find something new that suits your life style. It doesn't have to be crazy or out of this world. It can be something that you can do straight from home, it can be something done within your school or community.
2. Laugh/Smile more!People are always telling me that they never see me without a smile on my face and that I am ALWAYS laughing. I would say that that is 99% true-we all have our bad days. Don't suppress a smile or a laugh when you want to. I recently went to my sister's grade 12 graduation and when the people got called up to receive their awards, not one of them smiled. I could tell that they were happy by the way they were walking and yet none of them smiled! Let yourself smile!!!! It's not disrespectful to smile when you are happy and when you're proud of something you've accomplished. And when someone cracks punny joke, just laugh! Laugh for the sake of laughing and that it makes you feel better! Life is to short to forget to laugh, so just laugh!
Don't beat around the bush. Don't kid with yourself. You know what your problem is so, fix it. Don't let yourself soak in the sorrow of your own sadness. If you are going to through a tough time and need extra help, don't be afraid to ask for it! This doesn't have to be just about life problems, think about classroom problems. Lets say that you don't understand a math question very well and you are stuck on it, ask your teacher, that's what they're there for! I know plenty of people who have tons of questions that never got answered because they were never asked in the first place. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it.
3. Face your problems head on and ask for help when you need it.
4. Focus on the little things.Not everyone's life is glorious at every single moment. I am a firm believer that everyone has a bunch of struggles with which they must deal with. Just because you can't see their problems doesn't mean they don't exist. So when you are going through a dark time in your life, find the smallest moments throughout your day that made you smile. Those are the moments that are worth living for. Once you add all these moments up you'll realize that you have a lot to live for. Stop thinking about your day in such a boring way. You did not just go to school, come home, do homework, and go to bed. You laughed on the bus ride to school about a joke your friend made, you finished your painting in art class (which you are very proud of), you passed notes in chemistry, you started reading a really good book, you finally started a conversation with that cute boy in math, you completed your homework quickly and you had a nice dinner with your family. So maybe this stuff doesn't happen every single day but find something like it!
5. Take a chance!So maybe asking a boy to slow dance is something you would never do. But why not? What are they going to do, say no? If they do, they're just rude, turning down an innocent dance is not something people usually do. Most people think that a dance doesn't even mean anything! Take the chance and just as them to dance. If this person is a friend and you're really uncomfortable with being so formal and asking them to dance, just take their hand and pull them on to the dance floor. Not in a violent way but in a very gentle way so that if they're really uncomfortable with it, they can not go. However don't be afraid to give them a gentle pull if they try to resist, they might just need some encouragement. If they still don't want to, let them leave as they were never worth your time!
6. If the opportunity presents itself, take it!Don't sit around at home watching Netflix while your friends are out at the mall or partying! Go with them! Even if your not the kind of person who usually goes out, give it a try! You may find that you enjoy the company of your friends more than the company of ice cream and a movie. If all your friends are going out to the dance, go to the dance and bust a move on the dance floor! However, if your friends are up to something that really doesn't float your boat, (like smoking something a little fishy) feel free to make it a movie night and just chill at home!
These are pretty simple ways to improve your day to day life. Some of them will be hard to do but once you do them, you won't look back! Remember that some of these things will be harder for you than it will be for your friend. I'm still learning to do some of these but I know that I'm well on my way to success, even in those areas that need work. Another thing, if you are truly put at discomfort, remember that saying no is okay when you need to!
Until next time!